Whether you have to make a short or long-distance move, a short notice one is tough to handle in both cases. People move on short notice because their job requires it or because they got some opportunity they can not reject. It’s challenging to handle a short notice move, but it’s not impossible. Therefore, as soon as you can, start organizing and making checklists because that’s the most important thing to do to go through the moving process without any problem.
Guidelines To Help You Handle A Short Notice Move
First of all, take a deep breath and get a notebook! Start organizing! You will have to get packing supplies, moving boxes, rent a moving truck, transfer your utilities, transfer your kids’ school records, transfer your and your family members medical records, etc. There will be a lot of things to do as you can see! Therefore, the first thing you will have to do is to make a checklist! However, if you hire furniture movers Sterling VA, your stress level will significantly decrease! But, let’s see how to handle a short notice move, step by step:
- Hire a Professional Moving Company
- Get Packing Supplies and Moving Boxes
- What not to pack!
- Ask Friends for Help
Hire A Professional Moving Company
The best way to handle a short notice move is by hiring a professional moving company. Every professional mover has a license and excellent workers. They will pack, load, and relocate all your belongings fast and safely. A professional moving company has years of experience in the moving industry and a lot of moving services that they can provide for your move. Some of those services are:
- Excellent communication with their clients
- Packing and Proper Labeling Services
- Truck and Transport Services
- Moving Insurance and Safety
- Unpacking and Recycling
- Storage Solution / Shipping containers
- Special Services (moving bulky and heavy items such as piano or home safe, etc.). Hire piano movers Virginia to take care of your piano but also to help you relocate all of your belongings fast!
Sit down and take a deep breath! If you start panicking you, most likely, won’t finish anything. After that, get a notebook and pencil and start organizing and planning. Yes, it would be great if you have superpowers so you can finish everything in one day, but hey, most likely you do not! Write down the most important things and start doing them! You should also involve your family members in the moving process. For example, kids can begin packing seasonal clothes while you are at work or finishing other tasks, etc.
You won’t have time to declutter thoroughly but there will definitely be some items that you don’t need and won’t use anymore. Try to go through every room and check which items you want to leave behind. If some of those items are in good condition, such as armoire or sofa, you can give them to some of your neighbors, friends or family.
However, if you don’t want to throw away anything, you can always consider storage options! If your professional mover has no storage services, ask them to at least point you out to some of the good storage facilities. Here are some packing for storage tips!
Get Packing Supplies And Moving Boxes
It is highly recommended to hire a professional mover to handle a short notice move. A professional mover will provide all packing supplies and moving boxes and bring those with them on a moving day. However, if you are moving by yourself, hurry up and get enough packing supplies and moving boxes. You will need bubble wrap, packing tape, moving boxes (different sizes and types), packing paper, etc. You will also need a dolly or hand truck if you have a lot of heavy items to move. Don’t forget to buy gloves for your own protection!
If you are a parent, you will want to know how to prepare your children for relocation!
What Not To Pack?
If you don’t know, there are some items that your mover won’t move! Some of those items are considered dangerous, and most moving companies will just reject dealing with them. So, you should know that, if you want to move any of these items, you will have to deal with that yourself. There are five categories of items that your movers won’t move, and they are:
- Dangerous / Hazardous Materials. That is the most dangerous category. Here we have corrosive, explosive, and flammable items!
- Perishables. Fresh or refrigerated food (meat, fruit, vegetables, etc.), frozen food, and open containers.
- Plants. If you have some nice plant that you don’t want to throw away, give them as a present to some of your friends or neighbors.
- Pets. Hire a professional pet mover if you can’t take care of your pet by yourself. Pet should always be with you. The safest way to relocate your pet is in your own car.
- Valuable items. Items such as passport, money, important documents, jewelry, or anything else that’s valuable you should keep with you all the time!
Ask Your Friends For Help
Notify your friends as soon as you find out about the move! Your friends will always be there for you, so do not hesitate to ask for help. You would help your friend too, right? Of course! Friends can help you pack, move, carry, load items in a moving truck, and unpack when you arrive at your destination. Make sure to get enough snacks and water for the moving day. Some nice music on the radio would be wonderful because everything is easier with music!
You should avoid common moving injuries! Therefore, get gloves, eat good, and wear proper clothes on a moving day!
And this is how you handle a short notice move! Take a deep breath and begin! Hiring a professional mover would be the best idea, but having your friends there to help will also work! Have a good move!